Using the DISC to Build Relationships at Work
Once you have an understanding of the basics of the DISC Assessment of Communications styles, you can start to use the DISC in a variety of situations where having an in-depth understanding of a colleague is a critical success factor.
Here are three of the most popular and effective ways to use it:
- After administering the DISC to each person in your organization, you can exchange the information you learn from your report to build communication immediately with your current employees, peers, and internal customers.
- If you make it a practice to administer the DISC to each new employee, you can exchange DISC results as a way to develop a deep understanding of one another from the very start instead of learning to let to know their style and what motivates them on a trial and error basis over a series of several months. That way, you are maximizing the probability of positive communications from the very beginning.
- When troublesome issues do come up with employees — requiring mid-course correction — you can use your DISC reports as a neutral backdrop for addressing conflicts and/or problem behaviors.
This workshop provides you with a step-by-step guide on how to hold conversations that will deepen a relationship that might other wise take months to establish. You will practice these conversations with other workshop participants and leave with a written guide to assist with more of these conversations back on the job.
Audience: Recommended for managers, supervisors and individual contributors who work on diverse teams; ideal workshop for intact teams in retreat setting
Prerequisite: DISC Basics Workshop
Length: 4 hours
- Learn to identify individuals’ communication styles in order to improve persuasive communications
- Become comfortable with the fact that there is no “right” or “wrong” personal communication style, only better and worse ways ways to express it
- Know how to use the DISC assessment to set clear expectations with all levels of colleagues and customers
- Know how to strengthen relationships with colleagues and customers
- Learn the benefits of building a team with members representing diverse communications styles
- Gain experience adapting your own communication style to the communications styles of others
- Advanced understanding of the DISC Assessment of Communications Styles
- Master a system for using the DISC report to build strong relationships with colleagues and customers
- Ability to replicate the conversations practiced in the workshop back on the job, with the aid of the practical, step-by-step instructions outlined in the Workshop Handout